Sunday, July 19, 2009

Bleu Cheese Chicken

I love stinky cheese! It's so yummy in my tummy... well my mouth anyway. Even if you're not a bleu cheese fanatic you'll probably like this recipe. You really must make the dressing from scratch though as the bottled variety just isn't the same. I'd like to thank Ashley for directing me to this bleu cheese dressing recipe on the food network. I always make the dressing first and then put it all together. The dressing will stay good, if refrigerated, for up to two weeks and I think it tastes better after being in the fridge for at least 24 hours. After you've made the bleu cheese dressing you are ready to put it all together. The chicken tastes great as leftovers and will stay good, if refrigerated, for one week. I usually only cook for 1-4 people, so adjust this as necessary.

Bleu Cheese Chicken
Prep Time 15-20 minutes
Cook Time 30-60 minutes
Serves 4

Ingredients
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders (quantity depends on how many you're serving)
Favorite variety of mushrooms (quantity depends on how many you're serving)
Bleu cheese dressing (you may need to double or triple the recipe depending on how many people you're serving)

Directions
Make the bleu cheese dressing recipe (found below). Line the bottom of your baking dish (I recommend glass or Corningware) with boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders. Chop up your favorite mushrooms (I like baby portabello) and generously cover the chicken. Then cover the mushrooms and chicken with the bleu cheese dressing. You'll see that it's an extremely white food at this point.
Bake in a 350 degree oven until the chicken is thoroughly cooked (about 30-60 minutes, depending on the quantity). When it comes out of the oven there will be dark brown spots, which is perfect.

It tastes great served over rice, baked potatoes, or pasta. Enjoy!

Bleu Cheese Dressing
makes about 3/4 cup

Ingredients
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (more if desired... I usually double it for the chicken recipe)
2 Tbsp sour cream (may use reduced-fat variety)
2 Tbsp mayonnaise (may use reduced-fat variety)
1/4 cup buttermilk (can double the sour cream and mayonnaise instead, but it does taste better with the buttermilk)
1 Tbsp white-wine vinegar
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp chopped scallions (or finely chopped white onion)
Salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Directions
Whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, and blue cheese in a small bowl. Stir in buttermilk, vinegar, parsley and scallions. Season with salt a pepper.

3 comments:

  1. I have personally sampled this dish and can vouch for it's deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i bought bleu cheese so i could make this. I haven't yet but I will. Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just tried an adaptation with this recipe and it was delicious. Instead of cooking it over rice I sliced up potatoes very thin and cut the chicken into bite size pieces and still used the mushrooms. Then I covered it all with the blue cheese and baked it for about an hour. It was delicious! Matt and I both prefer it with the potatoes.

    ReplyDelete